Common Treatment for Depression
Depression is a mental health disorder affecting a person’s mood. More than three million Americans suffer from this condition, sometimes which causes a dismantled quality of life not only for the person suffering, but friends and family as well. Depression is thought to be caused by low serotonin levels in the brain. A person who suffers from depression can experience a variety of symptoms including:
· Feeling of inadequacies and sadness
· Suicidal thoughts
· Withdrawal from friends and activities
· Crying, mood changes
· Feel that life has no meaning or purpose
Luckily, depression treatment is available. Once a depression diagnosis is made, several treatment options are available, including:
· Lifestyle Changes: Lifestyle changes are usually recommended for a patient suffering from depression. This includes removing caffeine from the diet, which can trigger the mood, refraining from certain people and/or situations, exercising more often, and others.
· Medications: The most common depression treatment is medication. Doctors have a variety of medications to offer a patient who is bothered by depression. The medications work to improve serotonin levels in the brain.
· Counseling: counseling service is used in combination with medication, lifestyle changes and/or other treatments. Group and individual counseling helps many people suffering through the effects of depression.
· Electroconvulsive Therapy: This treatment is used oftentimes when other treatment options fail. ECT is a brain triggering treatment. You can learn more about ECT from the local Psychiatric Services Clearwater FL facility.
Every person is unique, as is every depression diagnosis. Only with your doctor can the proper treatment plan develop. Keep in mind that trial and error may be needed to find the best medications and/or treatments for your specific situation. Patience and persistence pay off. Be open and honest with your doctor and you can beat depression at its own game!